I am here to learn more about the Spanish language and help others do the same if and when I can. When I was in high school one of my Spanish teachers would teach us a new Spanish proverb ... one for each day of class. It instilled in me a love for proverbs and their use as a teaching tool that transcends language. So, allow me to leave you with one here. It is one of the first ones my Spanish teacher taught us:
"Dime con quien andas y te diré quién eres."
Many years later I wound up working indirectly with an Iraqi interpreter and one evening somehow the topic of conversation turned to other languages, to include Spanish. I remember sharing this same proverb with her and after repeating it in English, the expression on her face gave me the sense that she knew exactly what this meant.
That memory I just shared with you is but one example of how you don't need a classroom to learn or illustrate, enlighten, or just simply share. StackExchange is another, and I hope all who come here learn something and, in turn, share that knowledge with others.
Member for 3 years, 7 months
7 profile views
Last seen Sep 28 at 14:36
- Spanish Language 4.1k 4.1k 1212 silver badges3636 bronze badges
- Russian Language 1.4k 1.4k 22 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 453 453 22 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- German Language 383 383 22 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Language Learning 293 293 11 silver badge44 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 23 How is “pea” translated into Spanish?
- 12 How is “pea” translated into Spanish?
- 11 What is the difference between "catedrático," "docente," "maestro," and "profesor?"
- 11 Is the phrase "Me siento mal" grammatically correct in Spanish?
- 11 Can anyone clear up some discrepancies between rules for numeral+adjective+noun agreement for 2/3/4 and actual usage (as found through e-sources)?
- 11 Why is the Russian adverb "уже" not always translated into English?
- 11 Do "надо" constructions tend to pair with perfective verbs and if so, why?
- View more network posts →